Saturday, November 6, 2010

Muesli















This is my copycat of Dorset cereals simply delicious muesli



Since they list percentages by weight of their ingredients, I basically just replicated those for the major categories (oats and whole grains, dried fruit, and nuts). Because it is much quicker to measure in volume rather than weight (and this is not being baked so it does not need to be precise), I recorded the combinations I enjoy by volume of each ingredient.

I eat this every morning, mixed with nonfat Greek yogurt (if plain, I add a tsp honey, or I eat one of the fruit flavors), and fruit (usually a piece and a half -- banana and some strawberries, in various combinations). Below it is pictured with raspberries and apples.













Ingredients

3.5 c. rolled and quick oats
.5 c. wheat germ
.5 c. nuts (unsalted)
1 c. dry fruit (in bits, unsweetened)
.75 c. unsweetened flaked coconut

Directions
1. Measure and crush nuts (I put them in a plastic bag and crushed them with a rolling pin).
If you use whole hazelnuts, toast these separately before you crush them, and then use a tea towel to rub off the skins, then crush (or chop).
2. Toast nuts. I do this in a nonstick skillet on medium high for 2 minutes. You have to watch very carefully and stir so that they don't burn. The coconut can go in for the last minute to toast.
3. While the nuts and coconut are freshly toasted, pour them into a heat proof bowl with the oats, wheat germ, and dried fruit, and stir.

Enjoy!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment