Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Cranberry Berry Apple Pie

I used Pioneer Woman's Pie Crust with 1/2 c. whole wheat pastry flour since I ran out of flour. It turned out very good. However, when divided in 3, the recipe barely makes enough for the pie plate -- don't expect high edges or a thick crust.

I thought cranberries would be only as tart as rhubarb but I was wrong. For the filling I used 1/2 tbsp. lemon juice, 3/4 c. sugar, 3 tbsp. flour, along with 6 c of the fruits. A little less than 1 c. of this was chopped cranberries.

The crumb topping was an amendment to the crumb topping under the Betty Crocker recipe for Rhubarb Pie. I used 3/4 c. sugar, 1/2 c. white whole wheat flour, 1 tsp cinnamon, sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice, some chopped walnuts, a little less than 1/2 c. quick oats, and 5 tbsp of butter. This was quite good.

25 min with foil around the edges, 25 min with foil removed. Was a couple minutes too long---top got a little brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment